Saturday, April 10, 2021

The Beginnings of Growth

 Let's start out with some pictures...  


Those are my carrots.

These are my lettuces.


Both the carrots and the lettuce are 14 days old.  The lettuce started out in an egg carton and were transplanted into ice cream tubs at 9 days old.  I attempted transplanting carrots this morning.  Note: There's a reason why they say you can't transplant carrots.  Their roots are like fine white hairs at this point and I don't think it's humanly possible to get those roots straight so they can grow into nice carrots.  We'll see.  I may have to simply thin those out and be satisfied with only a few carrots reaching maturity instead of the plethora of shoots that came up.

I also have three containers with zucchinis planted - 6 seeds per container - and an egg carton with tomato seeds planted.  One tomato showed itself this morning.  15 days out.  Slow pokes.  

The zucchinis were planted later than the rest, so it's only been 7 days.  

I have a spreadsheet to keep track of the dates and progress.  I'll talk about that another time.

I'm also keeping track of two cedar seedlings. I pulled them out of my flower gardens and transplanted them into a pot.  They're only about 2 inches high, but I hope to get them big enough to put into the north side of our yard.  

Let's face it, folks, I'm a writer by nature not a farmer, so there's every possibility I will totally screw this up.  Every regular veggie garden I've ever planted was a bust.  But hey, if it works, we'll have fresh veggies without having to trek to the store.  Fingers crossed.

4 comments:

  1. I'll be reading along :) FYI - my dad always planted his carrots with a salt shaker. He swore at those teeny, tiny seeds, then swore at having to thin, so he came up with the shaker plan. Just tape most of the holes (or if you can find one with just one hole, even better) so you get one or two seeds per shake).
    I'm itching to get out into my garden (you're way ahead based on your pic of the lilac the other day on FB), but am so happy that my oregano has wintered over. Been trying to get an oregano plant to winter over for years. All that mulch this winter must have helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad to see you, Janet! Awesome idea about the salt shaker. I wish I'd thought of that. Maybe next time I try carrots.

      Yeah, the advantage of being down here - the growing season starts earlier and lasts longer. Yay for your oregano! I haven't tried seasonings yet. Maybe later or next year. =o)

      Delete
  2. Looks like you have a great start and are far more farmerish than me, who sorta-kinda grew up on a ranch. Little different but there was a garden. Just not my catnip. Except I should plant some for the ferals. LOLOL

    I'll be following along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Silver! LOL.. farmerish... Hey, you grow things. Book things. Nourishment for the mind. LOL about the catnop, too.

      Thanks for following along!

      Delete

Conversation Growth

Update - 8/2/21

I know I haven't been around in a while, but that's because not much is going on in the garden. Except today, I found a new flower o...